Naev is fun space sim, trading and combat RPG similar to Escape Velocity. The open-ended space exploration game is under heavy development and a beta in the upcoming 0.5.x series has been released yesterday.
We reviewed Naev few months back, you can read more about the game from here
Naev 0.5 is brings a huge list of changes that makes it essentially a new game and big departure from 0.4.x series.
- Many new territories to explore
- New Pirate system
- More planets in systems
- Bigger planets in systems, more planet graphics
- Players must fly to jump points before jumping to another system
- Ships have cloaking and detection abilities
- Sensor range depends on cloak vs detection
- Turrets no longer track all ships equally
- Fancier targeting method
- Random bar NPCs
- On-map security rating abandoned in favour of faction presence indicators
- More diverse planetary inventories
- Outfit slots now have sizes
- System backgrounds (nebula, sun and more!).
- Fancier new GUI.
- Weapon sets allow to easily configure different weapon configurations for each ship.
- Heat system replaces accuracy making ships more accurate at first.
- Overlay map helps navigate and visualize the environment.
- Mouse targeting.
- Damage absorption and penetration system.
- Continuous time model.
- New tutorial that is independent from the main game.
- Mouse flying.
- Images in intro.
- Lots more content!
You can watch a gameplay video of Naev from here
Download Naev from here. You need to download both binary and data file and make sure that they are in same folder. The game have following dependencies (everything installable from software center):
SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, OpenGL, libxml 2, Freetype 2, libpng 1.2, OpenAL, libvorbis, binutils
Once done, just run Naev executable from folder.