Greedy Car Thieves has just reached a new version which brings many new features and fixes to this much anticipated Linux game. We covered this game in past and the response has been great within the Linux community. The game is heavily under development and these builds are test versions having multi-player mode at the moment.
For those who don't know about it yet, here is a brief description:
Greedy Car Thieves is a 3D top down shooter, exploration and driving game inspired by one of the most popular series of all time, Grand Theft Auto. The game perfectly blends old school fun with fast paced action. In multi-player mode you can face real players in various game types.
Follow the stories of a couple of friends from childhood, who now stand on the opposite sides of barricade. Thomas is a lawman, while Kevin is law breaker. Witness how their life paths cross while they take hard decisions, leading to a dramatic finale.
- Single-player story mode where you play as both a lawman and a thug
- Multi-player mode with various game types: free for all, 1v1, team DM, capture the flag, hunting, race etc.
- A lot of cars, weapons, power-ups and destructible objects that successfully diversify the gameplay
- Shoot while seating in a car as a passenger
- Precise aiming mode makes it no problem to accurately fshoot even from a roof (despite the fact the game exhibits an old-school top-down view)
- Delightful visual effects including ambient occlusion, dynamic per-pixel normal-mapped lighting, real-time dynamic shadows (cars headlights and sunlight with varying day-night cycle), water reflections, blooming and anti-aliasing
- Fast and reliable networking, based on UDP/IP protocol, minimizes game lags and provides continuous multi-player gameplay
- Map editor that lets players to easily create new cities with a lot of predefined objects and tiles
- Runs on Window XP/Vista/7, Linux, Mac OS
Changes in the new version
- Server finder (just hit 'refresh' button to get list of currently available servers)
- Destroyable street lights
- New GUI (Head-Up Display)
- New, better sounds
- New game types
- Better effects and animations
- A few new vehicles
- Vehicles' names
- Improved physics
- Each user keeps his/her own files in home dictionary (under Linux)
- Teammates' nicknames
- Many bugs fixes and improvements
Check out the video
Installation Instructions For Linux
- Download the latest version from here
- Install following dependencies Nvidia-Cg-Toolkit, WxWidgets, GTK 2.8, SDL_image, SDL_ttf
- In Ubuntu 11.04, just run the following command: sudo apt-get install nvidia-cg-toolkit libwxgtk2.8-dev libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-ttf2.0-0
- From the game folder, run the file gct-game-startup for multi player mode. Join a server to run the game.