A new version for popular Linux FPS game Red Eclipse has been released. Codenamed 'Supernova Edition', this release sees many new features and changes.
About Red Eclipse
Red Eclipse is a Free and Open Source game, built on Cube Engine 2 using SDL and OpenGL. The game is a single-player and multi-player first-person shooter, built as a total conversion of Cube Engine 2, with focus toward balanced gameplay, custom maps, and agile, action oriented gameplay.
Changes in this Release (version 1.1)
- New power jump (crouch and hold space) and power slide moves (crouch while landing)
- Jetpack has been retooled into a hoverpack, which limits height off the ground
- Physics and weapon tweaks to make the game feel more natural and balanced
- Must now carry the ball into the goal in Bomber-Ball
- New radar system; the radarstyle variable lets you choose how you want your radar.
- New maps; "blink" and "error"
- New particles and crosshairs
- Work in progress league mutator, the beginnings of class-based gameplay
- Many bug fixes; voting menu works, etc.
Game Trailer (Watch in HD)
Download Red Eclipse version 1.1 Supernova Edition
There is also a PPA for Ubuntu users that hosts svn builds for the game. You can download the game from the PPA but most recent packages for the latest version are yet to be uploaded. To add the PPA and install Red Eclipse, run the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:arand/redeclipse
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install redeclipse