Elegance is a clean HUD theme for Gnome Shell made by Satyajit Sahoo. The theme is compatible with the latest Gnome Shell 3.2.
- First backup your Gnome Shell theme directory i.e. "/usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/".
- Extract the tar.gz file and rename "gnome-shell" directory to "theme",
- Copy it to "/usr/share/gnome-shell/".
- Restart GNOME Shell by pressing "Alt+F2", then type r and press Enter.
You can also install theme selector extension and use gnome tweak tool to switch themes. Follow the instructions below (for Ubuntu 11.10):
- Run the following command: sudo apt-get install git-core
- Install Gnome Tweak Tool by running following command: sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
- Download Gnome Shell extensions by running following command: git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-shell-extensions
- Now access the directory from terminal by running following command: cd gnome-shell-extensions/
- Finally run this command to install the extension: ./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/.local --enable-extensions="user-theme"
- Logout, come back and use Gnome Tweak Tool to switch themes.
Many thanks to Satya for the tip