Some beautiful new Gnome Shell themes were out last week. As always these themes are presented by Satya, Half -Left and Alecive, who also designed the Awoken icon theme.
Minty by Satya is a Gnome Shell theme with some flavour of Linux Mint. It is compatible with the latest Gnome Shell 3.2.
A New Start
This is a GNOME Shell theme by alecive. The GTK3 theme for the same is still being developed.
- Backup /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme folder
- Extract the archive and rename gnome-shell to theme
- Copy this folder to /usr/share/gnome-shell/
- Restart Gnome Shell by hitting Alt+F2, then type r and press enter
- You can also use Gnome Tweak Tool to install directly from zip file
You can also install theme selector extension and use gnome tweak tool to switch themes. Follow the instructions below (for Ubuntu 11.10):
- Run the following command: sudo apt-get install git-core
- Install Gnome Tweak Tool by running following command: sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
- Download Gnome Shell extensions by running following command: git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-shell-extensions
- Now access the directory from terminal by running following command: cd gnome-shell-extensions/
- Finally run this command to install the extension: ./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/.local --enable-extensions="user-theme"
- Logout, come back and use Gnome Tweak Tool to switch themes.