Social Media Player Tomahawk 0.3 has been released with some great new features. Tomahawk is a cross-platform and open-source social media player where you can connect to your other machines and friends via Jabber, Google Chat and Twitter and browse and play their libraries, playlists and stations.
But these are not the only features, there are many more which you can which can discover while using the media player. Tomahawk also supports an extension system called 'Resolvers' to add more functionality.
What's New in Beta?
- Resolver Gallery with 1-click install (and community ratings)
- Album and Artist pages - discography, bios, tracks, etc.
- Charts - iTunes, Billboard, Hype Machine, We Are Hunted, Spotify and RDIO song, artist and album charts
- Footnotes - easy to access contextual information on any selected track
- Global Search (across all available sources)
- Drag/drop Spotify, Rdio and iTunes links to the queue, play controls or playlist
- Lazy Lists - add the complete album, artist catalog, artist top songs, or just your local songs from that artist just by dropping a single song
- User Radio (for user's the send their collection info to EchoNest)
- Live-updating XSPFs - import a xspf playlist, and if the source updates so will your playlist in Tomahawk (I'm looking at you Last.fm Just Played lists)
- And lots of other uncountable improvements and fixes
- Grooveshark (for GrooveShark Anywhere subscribers only)
- ...and more!
New Tomahawklet Supported Sites
Tomahawklet is a bookmarklet that scrapes playlist metadata from a number of websites and, thanks to Tomahawk, lets you listen right there in-page. If it's a keeper, a simple click of "send to Tomahawk" sends them right into the app so it's always at your fingers.
Watch Tomahawklet in action in this video.
New Supported Sites:
- Rhapsody (& Napster)
- More here
New Beta Video
You can download Tomahawk beta from here, but unfortunately only Mac and Windows builds are available at the moment (kill me?). However, Linux builds will be available as soon as possible. We will keep you posted.