Free and Open Source real time strategy game 0 A.D. Alpha 9 has been released.
This release has been codenamed 'Ides of March' and comes with many new features and fixes.
- The Roman Republic faction, playable on custom scenarios and random map scripts--in single player and multiplayer, complete with a new art set, including new buildings, units, and ships.
- A new combat system that adds bonuses and weaknesses to each unit, like rock-paper-scissors (e.g. spearmen defeat melee cavalry, but are countered by skirmishers and cavalry archers).
- A brand new trading system, over land with traders trained from markets, and over sea with merchant ships built at the dock. Establish a trade route between two markets or docks, and your traders will gain resources for every trip made. You can choose which resource will be gained by a trader.
- Over a dozen new random map scripts.
- New animations: Rowing oars for ships, rams, some catapults, traders, some animals.
- AI improvements: 0 A.D.'s default AI, qBot, has had a performance increase and had a serious bug fixed with the attack code.
- Four new and one remixed soundtrack
- Many bug fixes. Full changelog here
If you are using Ubuntu, run the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install 0ad