Few days back we wrote about Terasology, a free and open source Minecraft inspired game engine. Minetest or Minetest-c55 is another great open source game/engine which involves sandboxed block based gameplay similar to InfiniMiner and Minecraft.
While Terasology is based on Java, Minetest is coded in C++ using Irrlicht engine. Also Minetest is very lightweight so it can comfortably run on older hardware and netbooks.
- Survival mode with inventory and crafting. This mode is being currently developed.
- Creative mode with infinite blocks at your disposal.
- Multiplayer support
- Voxel based dynamic lighting (quite similar to Minecraft)
- Light up caves with torches
- Almost infinite world
- Infinite map generator
- Runs natively on Windows, Linux and OS X
Last stable version of Minetest was version 0.3. However the game is getting many new features and improvements in version 0.4 which is current focus of development. So I will recommend that you try latest version as 0.3 is almost 4-5 moths old.
If you are using Ubuntu, install latest 0.4 snapshot by running following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:minetestdevs/daily-builds
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install minetestc55
Check out video:
For Texture Packs and Mods, see Minetest Forums.
Thanks to Urban Tactics