Iocaine Studios is an indie game development team consisting of former Obsidian and Blizzard developers that have worked on titles such as Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, and Fallout: New Vegas.
They are working now on Steam Bandits: Outpost, a free-to-play town-building game harnessing elements from games like Civilization, Sim City, Animal Crossing, Tropico, and The Sims.
Our team loves playing games like Civ, but we've gotten pretty annoyed with how current games limit how much you can play without bugging your friends or spending your money. We want to make a free-to-play game that brings over the fun things from town-builders, but leaves behind the annoying stuff--and since we love games like Civilization, we're going to sprinkle in some cool features from non-casual games to push this genre forward.
- Build up an outpost by constructing buildings that do different things.
- Harvest resources from those buildings.
- Use those resources to construct even more awesome buildings.
- Customize your buildings’ colors and addons to make your outpost feel truly unique!
- Select outfits for your character and choose from hundreds of combinations!
- Collect pets that you can customize to roam your outpost.
- Send airship captains out on missions to bring back rewards, and customize them too
- Link up with your friends' outposts and captains for resource bonuses.
The project has reached its target of $30k on Kickstarter with 8 days left. The game has been made using Unity3D engine. A Linux version has been confirmed but it will be available after Unity3D 4 is released in early 2013. The game will be out in October 2012 for other platforms.