Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 1 has been released with new features. One of the major changes is complete removal of Unity2D. Unity3D is now capable of of running on old systems that do not support hardware acceleration.
Other changes/new features in Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 1:
- New 'Unity Previews' feature shows you detailed information about a file/app on right click.
- New Coverflow effect for music files in dash.
- 'Backlight Always On' has been replaced by 'Backlight Toggles' in Unity launcher. Only active application will now inherit color of the icon.
- A new Mac OS X like 'Genie' or 'Magic Lamp' animation effect is now used by default when any window is restored from minimized state.
- New community wallpapers.
- Nautilus 3.4 will be shipped now instead of upstream version 3.6.
- Improved look of light themes.
- New Online Accounts settings allows different applications to integrate with web services. For example, with a Facebook account added on online accounts settings, you can use Shotwell photo manager to directly upload your photos to Facebook.
- New Unity Photo Lens.
- LibreOffice global menu is now enabled by default.
- Login screen design improvements and network manager support.
- Default apps: Firefox 15, Thunderbird 15, LibreOffice 3.6.1
- Linux kernel 3.5.3
- A number of Compiz/Unity fixes that improve gaming performance on Ubuntu.