The Ubuntu GNOME Remix (UGR) is a new project that aims to provide a mostly pure GNOME desktop experience built from the Ubuntu repositories.
UGR 12.10 is the first release for this project and there are still a few minor issues, but it is a great alternative if anyone is interested in using Ubuntu with pure upstream GNOME experience, rather than stock Unity interface.
- The Ubuntu GNOME Remix ships with GNOME 3.6. Check out the GNOME Release Notes to see what's new in 3.6.
- GNOME Shell 3.6.1 and GDM 3.6.1. Among other improvements, the login and lock screen have been redesigned.
- Web (epiphany-browser).
- Abiword for word processing and Gnumeric for spreadsheets.
- Evolution as email client.
- Software (gnome-package-kit), which also includes its own update manager. You can install updates by opening Software and clicking Check for Updates in the Software app menu.
- GNOME Classic (gnome-panel 3) is included but GNOME Shell is the default session if your hardware supports it.
- Tweak Tool and dconf Editor are provided for customizing advanced settings.
- Cheese webcam app.
- Gwibber allows you to easily connect via social media.
- The complete GNOME Games collection.
- Rhythmbox is the default music player.
- Shotwell is the default photo manager.
- Useful utilities like Simple Scan and Transmission.
Some Missing Apps/Features:
- Some GNOME apps have not been upgraded to 3.6 for the 12.10 release. If you want these, try the GNOME3 PPA. Affected apps include Aisleriot, Nautilus, System Settings, and Totem.
- Web does not support Flash in Ubuntu 12.10 (1001229). If you need Flash, try Firefox or Chromium.
- Documents is not included as it currently depends on LibreOffice.
- Ubuntu One is not included by default as it doesn't feel like a GNOME app.