The Great Whale Road is a story-driven, turn-based tactical RPG for Linux.
Set in the Early Middle Ages, the game revives an ancient world through its digitally hand-drawn art, colourful characters, atmospheric soundtrack, and deeply researched lore.
Gameplay is split into two seasons. Winter to manage and plan for the year ahead and summer when you sail the whale road and visit other towns and villages. You and your warband have to fulfill a quest each year, while ensuring that you have sufficient food to feed everyone through the long months of winter. Digitally hand-drawn locations are connected by an atmospheric side-scrolling sailing mode. Grid based tactical combat means that Valhalla can be just a warcry away.The game looks and plays similar to The Banner Saga, which can be a good thing.
- Storyline about the Danes from Úlfarrsted, a village on a small North Sea island just off the coast from the Danish-Saxon borderland.
- A story-driven campaign from the north of Denmark to the south of England.
- Character quests
- Character progression
- Equip characters with weapons and armour sets.
- Four combat classes and associated warcries.
- Land and sea combat environments.
- An event system which covers all areas of medieval life from farming to family feuds.
- Dynamic trade system.
- Ship and settlement upgrades.
The game can be purchased from Steam.