AllocateB from Ubuntu Forums has written a nice bash script that simplifies installation of Minecraft on Ubuntu.
This script does the following things:
- Looks for java
- Downloads and installs OpenJDK if needed
- Downloads Minecraft for you
- Installs it to a new .minecraft folder
- Writes a shell script to your bin folder
- Creates a shortcut on your desktop that you can use to run Minecraft
- Creates a launcher in your Applications menu for Minecraft
- Lets you run Minecraft from terminal with a simple "minecraft" command
Follow the instructions in this video or from this forum post
After installation you will have your Minecraft Shortcut placed in main menu.
Download the script from here